Tuesday, July 14, 2009

summer vacation part 3

Well, after we left Mom and Dad Schmidt's house early Thursday morning, we made our way north to Michigan's U.P. I was so excited for this part of our trip! I've heard it's just beautiful and me and my camera were excited to see it!
We were hoping to get to Mackinac bridge around sunrise, and we did except that it was very cloudy and gloomy. We were bummed at the gray skies, but excited that we were finally here! We woke up the kids just before entering.

And here we are...Mackinac Bridge.
closer...

yeah!
The drive on the bridge wasn't as exciting as I had imagined. But it was cool. Some interesting facts about the bridge (which I know you're dying to hear!):
- It is just under 5 miles in length
-The toll to cross for our minivan: $3.00
-Total length of cables: 42,000 miles!!!
For more info on the bridge visit here.


We stopped for some breakfast after this and then went to a lookout area for a complete view of the bridge. It's cloudy and a bit hazy, but if you look real close you'll be able to see the bridge just over my left shoulder.



A little later on that morning we stopped a a rest area and found a little path leading to this. A beautiful view of Lake MI.

Everyone took off right away and started to explore.
Stopping to smell the pretty flowers. (On a side note, I will be adding another post after this that will include more scenic pics I took over the vacation, which will have some cool looking flowers along with others.)
This is the only time I caught up with Tim and B close enough to get a picture. They were crossing a little creek on a log. A dangerous thing for Emmi and I to try. We both have horrible balance :) Not like it's a big deal or anything--it's just water, but we still had a good 10 hours to go!

I made it across, and Emmi tried and tried. She finally made it...dry!

Graycen thought he was big stuff and wanted to give it a go. Shortly after this picture was taken he fell in!

GG enjoying climbing on the rocks.

After about an hour we headed back to the van for some lunch and to be on our way. We didn't really have a plan of where to go next just kinda stopping here and there. It was my turn to drive and at some point noticed out of the corner of my eye a light house. I immediately turned into this parking lot to find, once again, Lake MI with a sandy beach and a boardwalk leading out to a light house!

The sun came out just as we were getting out if the van, but it was super windy...it was hard to walk.


walking on the rocks leading to the boardwalk.

It was a long and windy (and nerve-racking for Tim) walk but we made it!

On our way back from the lighthouse. Tim thought I should be in a few pics to prove I was actually there :) It was so incredibly windy! Graycen cried the whole time, I felt so bad. BTW, all of those white spots you see...sea gull poop. yuck.
After the light house we walked back along the beach searching for treasures. We found a bunch of little shells which Emmi was thrilled about! I didn't take any pictures because sand was flying everywhere and I did not want it getting in the camera. We filled a bucket with our goodies and headed back to the van.
We made several more stops along the way hoping it would warm up enough for us to go swimming, but it just wasn't warm enough. Eventually we made to our final planned stop in WI before we made it back to my Aunt's house for the night. Timm's Hill, the highest point in WI. My initial reaction was "whoo, hoo...what is it, a speed bump?!" But Tim insisted since it was, after all, TIMM'S hill. So we made our way on a skinny road through a dense forest 'til we came to an area where we had to get out and walk the rest of the way.


We walk up hill to come to this...the "observation tower". I seriously can not believe Tim actually climbed this. For those of you who don't know, Tim is very much acrophobic. Afraid of heights. And he did it while carrying Graycen. Still can't believe it. Although when we did finally get up there were were up there long enough for me to take 2 pictures and then he said, "everybody go down!" He was in a slight panic and was in fear for everybody. I just giggled and gathered everyone to go back down.
View from the tower
A quick shot of B before heading back down.

Graycen leading us back down the path. (Sorry for the blurriness, I was walking as well)

One last shot before getting back in the van to be done with our trip.

No comments: